Staying grounded on Gaia: In balance with earth, air, fire and water




This morning I opened Firefox and immediately saw the headline "How extreme weather is shrinking the planet."  It's a frightening prospect, hardly new, but now that it's actually happening we find it shocking.  Parts of the world we inhabited for many generations may not be sustainable for much longer.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/11/26/how-extreme-weather-is-shrinking-the-planet

It's happened before.  We used to be nomadic.  We could move on when we needed to.  There were no border controls to stop us.  Now it's harder to do, even legally, because we have so much stuff.  According to American comedian George Carlin, "all your house is is a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get some more stuff..."  So when you want to move, it's a problem, because you have so much stuff.  I faced this when I moved to Sweden in July and have one of those storage facilities in California, for all the stuff I couldn't quite face parting with.  When Carlin tells it like it is, it's hilarious, but when it comes to our own precious stuff, it's quite another matter.  Have fun laughing, then take a look around at your own stuff, can you live without it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

As I sit on Sunday morning in front of the fire, with the fjord Slätbaken outside the window behind me, I realize how lucky I am to have all four elements within my reach, to be in touch with all four elements, every single day.


I have my own well.  The water I drink and wash with is from deep under the earth right here, where I live.  I live out in the country, trees and plants are growing in the earth right outside my door, leaves are swirling all around and settling all over the place.  They are borne aloft by the currents of air, incredibly fresh, cold and wonderfully nourishing air.

 

I can take deep, deep breaths of this air without fear of smoke or other pollution, without a mask over my face.  I have a fireplace in which the fire is safely contained, where I can look at it and feel the heat from it, without being threatened by it burning out of control.


I am so grateful for what I would once have called "the simple pleasures."  Had you asked me when I was 15, 20, 25, or even 30 about what would be the most important elements in my life at the age of 50 and above I would not have replied "earth, air, fire and water, in the right balance."

Turns out those are the most important, and the only vital elements in life.  If we don't have these elements in balance Gaia cannot function, and we cannot live.

Satisfying work that pays enough, good friends that care about you, family that loves you, fun and creativity, art and music.  I have these on top of food and shelter.  I have earth, air, fire and water in the right balance, to me this is wealth, and I am hugely grateful!

If you read this and my other blog posts, thank you! Please comment!

Comments

  1. Helen! I love your post. So simple but to the point. I enjoyed the pictures as well as quoting one of my favorites--Mr. Carlin. :)
    I don't know how much longer I will be able to live in southern California (lack of water, unsustainable cost of living, etc.). But I think--if not here, then where? Most of my family lives in Cali, so that would be the hardest part about moving out of the country, which I muse about not infrequently. I love the sun here, but I miss clean air and water (I just took a shower and I now smell like chorine, because our tap water is so heavily treated)
    I do have more stuff than i'd like to admit, but I think my books would be the weighty travel expense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I am so glad this post resonated with you. I really appreciate the feedback! I hear you on all the points you make. I couldn't afford to live in California and that is really why I left. It is a magnificent and beautiful state, also my three grown children live there, so it was hard to leave. The books were the largest category of my stuff and I miss them too! I also miss the sun and am writing about that today, the coldest, darkest day so far. Please keep reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. Helen, this is Brian Falk. I commented above! It is great to hear that you have submitted your dissertation edits--it is a long and frustrating process! You're almost there! So, it's dark in Sweden, eh? Well, that means more sleeping, right? And lots of tea or coffee? I think I could handle that! lol. I suppose if I were to move there, I would save my money so that if I was in need of warmth and sunshine, I would take a little trip over to Greece, Croatia, Italy, etc. :)

      Delete
    3. Brian! Didn't realize it was you! Yes, the dissertation process is long and frustrating alright! And yes, it's very dark in Sweden at this time of year. It's getting dark soon after 3pm now and sunrise is at 8:25am tomorrow. This is why we have Advent and Lucia! I'd better get blogging about those highlights of the month of December...Yes to taking trips somewhere warmer and lighter at this time of year, lots of Swedes do that. I'm going to England because that's where family are for Christmas, it's warmer and lighter there (a bit)!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts